Opening that stupid door changed my life forever.
Today was supposed to be perfect, but knowing my luck, something would go wrong. I was finally having my princess wedding. The wedding I had been dreaming of since I was a little girl watching all of those sappy Disney Movies. Everything was running smoothly;
the church was decorated, the reception plans were set, and much to my relief, I fit in my dress. And it was all done 2 hours before the ceremony, so I could actually step back, breathe, and realize that this was actually happening. I was getting married.
Some people say that money doesn't matter, but they're lying. I grew up in an extremely poor family, so I would know. My mother always said, "Money may not buy happiness, but it definitely makes sadness easier to deal with." That was only one of the many lessons my mom taught me. When I told her I wanted to be a writer, she told me that was nonsense."Women don't work, she would say." When I told her I had gotten into Princeton, she laughed and made we deny the offer. I was upset, but I never argued, never even frowned. I would just say "Ok mom," smile, and leave, because that was just another lesson she had embedded into my head - mother knows best. I would just make up a reason to convince myself she was right. I was a very bad writer after all, and how on earth could I afford college at Princeton? The one thing my mother didn't control, was my dating life, and when she ended up taking the reigns on that too... that's when I couldn't hold my tongue. Any guy I even considered dating was awful in her eyes. He was too short, he was too tall, he was too fat, he was too skinny. But the most common flaw in my mom's eyes, "You could never date him Rebecca. He is filthy poor."
That had to be a joke. We had no money; we had lived off of government aid and food stamps since I was 4. And that was when I realized that who I really loved didn't matter to my mom. What I wanted to do in my life would never matter to her. I wasn't just going to let her decide my life.
"It's not my fault you never had anyone love you. It's not my fault that dad left us."
No comments:
Post a Comment